
(authors note: these events happened a few days ago, blah blah just posting it now)
Day Three
On my third day in Greensboro, I went down to Tate Street again and planned out my further travels. After spending a good portion of the afternoon here, I returned to Danielle's house where I met her roommate Stefan. We hung out, and jammed on the drums and guitar. After this, Danielle and I took a walk which led us along train tracks near her house. We spoke of self-improvement, and relished in the moment. We then traveled to a potluck dinner with Danielle's colleagues and friends from work. This was interesting because Danielle did not know exactly the house or the street we were looking for, yet after driving around a bit we found it. The people I met there were cool. Next, we went to a show (a concert, when the bands are 'indie', is called a show not a concert--if you go to these things you already know this) at an awesome art gallery called 2ArtChicks. This was an ideal space for such a thing--in the midst of an art gallery, a stage.
One thing about Greensboro is that beers at bars are considerably cheaper than in CT--at least, if you know where to look. The bar where i puked had $2 dollar specials (as you can see, inexpensive beer is not necessarily always a good thing). At the show, all of the better beers were only 2 bucks and the old faithful PBR was only One Dollar. One Dollar. However, having barfed on the PBR 2 nights previous, I opted for a Pete's Wicked Ale Strawberry Blonde. I met some more very cool people, and got into a very interesting conversation with one of Danielle's friends, and ended up missing a lot of the music while standing outside. And yeah that was that night...
Tangent
You know, I'm starting to really think this whole 'blogging about my experience' thing is stupid (or at least ineffective) on a number of levels. For one thing, my writing style is pretty boring, I'm trying to go into considerable detail, and what I'm writing about isn't that compelling--its not like I was out putting myself into dangerous situations or going on crazy benders (or for that matter, describing sexual exploits). No Sex + No Violence = Bo-Ring! Also, there is not much insight that I have to share with other people about my travels--my insights are my own. Lastly, what I'm writing about is fairly personal--people are probably going to get certain impressions about me from this, like that I'm a drunk since I'm always talking about beer or that I'm generally completely full of myself since I'm writing about my travels in such detail. I envisioned writing this blog as a way to keep in contact with my friends from home, but of course that doesn't work since it is a one-way conversation.
On the whole, I think that this blog was a dumb idea, however, I am not going to abandon
it but force myself to at least finish writing and posting about my travels. It has been a great experience, and all parts of it, and the people I met, deserve recognition.
Moving on,
Day Four
The last day of my time in greensboro was by far the most enriching and nourishing. After spending some time in the coffeeshop where I had by now become a regular, i decided to take a walk around Greensboro. I covered a good mile or two, and while the particular (random) route that I took did not bring me to 'see' many particularly interesting things, it was very nice nonetheless. After this I returned to Danielle's house. In a moment of intuition, Danielle suggested that we simply hang out on her porch that night and just chill, as the weather was beautiful. This may not sound like excitement, but for folks like us this is often far better than chasing a rush which in the end leaves you feeling empty. It was this night that we had our deepest connections, communicating and bonding, while mutually inspiring each other to create. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but the reality is there was something magical, at least for me, and very nourishing about this simple and relaxing set of moments.
Conclusion
My time in Greensboro was fun and enriching. It helped me prepare for the road ahead, and settle in to the new direction my life has taken. Being around Danielle gave me the motivation and the environment to re-engage with my spiritual side and to focus on the moment at hand, as well as on the tasks ahead, without over-worrying about either. She helped me grow in a lot of ways, and I'm very thankful for her friendship. I love the city of Greensboro, and plan to return there soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment